We have been running a food bank for many years and it’s a great way to help meet some of the need in our community. Requests for help mainly come through the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) or sometimes through other agencies or through our pastors. The request is passed on to one our volunteers, who then put together a package to suit the individual or family in need, and delivers it to them.

How can I get a food parcel?
Contact your local CAB and they will get in touch with us (or another food bank if there is one closer to you). They may also be able to put you in contact with other agencies that can assist or advise you.

How can I support the food bank?
We would love some extra volunteers who would be able to pack and deliver food parcels when they are needed. Get in touch with Elizabeth to offer your help. Financial and food contributions are also always very welcome.

The Bays Community Housing Trust was set up in 2004 by Long Bay Baptist Church members who saw a need for affordable, good quality housing on the North Shore for people in social and economic need. 

For more information about the Trust’s current projects visit their website

How do I become a housing trust tenant?
Find out more on the BCHT website.

How can I support this ministry?
Make a tax- deductible donation. Moneycan be deposited into BCHT account 12-3059-0534481-00. 
Include the Trust in your will.
Offer to help with property maintenance, gardening, painting, carpentry, etc.

Torbay & Long Bay Medical

Partnership & Fund

The church has an arrangement with the Medical Centre to provide pastoral and/or spiritual care. This is usually via a telephone call or email and requires actions like a food parcel, ready made meals, babysitting or transport to appointments.

In addition, a fund has been set up to support those families who are vulnerable to ill health and under financial pressure. This is most often those with children between 13 and 18 years of age, for whom visiting the doctor can be very costly.The fund is administered by the practice manager at Torbay Medical.

How can I access support from the fund?
How this fund is allocated is at the discretion of Torbay Medical. If you are in need of assistance please enquire with their reception staff on 477-9000.
How can I support this ministry?
If you would like to make a donation or become a regular donor, please contact the church office and they will gladly let you know how to do this.
If you would like to be a provider of meals or of practical help to families, of help to families please contact Carole McMinn (473-3259).